Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I don't know the answer...

I see that the mother of
Pat Tillman has written a
book about her son, called
BOOTS ON THE GROUND
BY DUSK.

It is about how her son died.
And this is not the first time or
the first war, that our men have
been killed by friendly fire. Nor
the first one, that the Government
has covered over.

Those of us who are older do
remember the true story movie, with
Carol Burnett, where she played a
mother very much like Mary
Tillman. A mother who wanted
the truth. The truth of how her
son really died. It was called
FRIENDLY FIRE.

I don't know how these mother's
found out that the Government was
lying. Did another serviceman tell
them? Was there facts that didn't
add up? I don't know.

The other quandary that comes to
my mind is, if it was my son, would
I want to know.

Pat Tillman was reported, in the beginning,
as a hero. A gung-ho, let's go get them,
yell as he went into the fire. Now, he is
a soldier who was in the wrong place at
the wrong time. To no fault of his own.

What image would I want to keep in my
mind? My son, the leader, yelling let's
get them, as he was fired upon? Or some
one who was there with his troop. And some
one behind him, shot him, by what I think was
by accident? And what hell the soldier must
be feeling, who shot Pat.

Sometimes, the truth hurts more than the lie.
Maybe there is a time where denial is a good
thing.

I don't know the answer, and I hope I never have
to find out.

No comments: