Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"I'm BORED.." Spring Breaks....

This week begins some Spring break… some have it next week. Which is different than when I went to school as we had it during the week of Easter…Called Easter break.. which is not political correct now.. Now we have the kids crying already…. “I’m bored” and it isn’t even half way thru yet. I did have a solution for that at our house. The week before I would make up the chore list. Listing at least 10 chores that the kids could do. Clean up their room. Go thru their toys and take out broken ones and the ones they no longer wanted. That in itself, took hours as they played with them as they went thru them. Then there was house chores. Bring in wood, (we had a wood stove and a wood box) rake up leaves and clean up the garbage that came into the yard over the winter… and etc.. It didn’t take long for the kids to be busy with other things to do.. and disappear. This also worked for the summer. And especially when I was busy with household things and they wanted to go to the beach or somewhere like that. Told them I had all these chores to do. And as they moan and groan.. and complain, they wanted to go… I would tell them.. I would love to go too, and it was heart breaking for me as well… BUT… now if they wanted to help me get those chores done, then we could all go.. Surprising they would go for it and help me… and yes, I did take them.. And my kids said I didn’t have a sense of humor… go figure…

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

I did the same thing. In fact, I made a list and posted it on the refrigerator door and everyone had chores...including me. That's how they earned their allowance. I taught them that no one in the real world is going to give them money if they don't work.

My kids were/are still workers.

JC said...

Joe posted this on facebook, thought you might like it. - If your kids are complainin' that they are not doing anything 'fun' for spring break, make sure you remind them that a major reason spring break even exists is so the kids could be home to help prepare the fields and plant seed for the current years harvest... They would be up at dawn and bust butt until sunset to get it done in one week