Thursday, March 24, 2011

IT IS MY LIFE AND I WILL DECIDE....

YES, It is my life and I will decide…

In our state of Idaho, the House State of Affairs has voted unanimously in favor of SB 1070a, the bill to ban assisted suicide and make it a felony. This is so
wrong…

As a person who worked in a nursing home for over 17 years, I got to see people die fairly often. I also saw a lot of them suffer in several degrees… the worse one was a man who was screaming as he died of cancer. where he was skin and bones, and the shots would not stay inside… the meds were not breaking thru the pain. As the pain was too much. I saw where people were kept alive by having feeding tubes in their stomachs, and were hydrated. I saw where family stopped visiting because they couldn’t bare to go see someone who didn’t even know they were there. Didn’t know anyone was there. Because of this, I have a living will. with extra large letters stating…NO TUBE FEEDING.. I will not be keep alive for years just so family can come see a body that formerly was me. We had several who lived for years like that. I WILL NOT BE ONE..
So back to the original reason for this subject of the state telling people they can not have a choice to have help to die with dignity. To use to justify their reason is so wrong on so many planes… I don’t know if I would use the assisted death. But I sure would want the choice… and others deserve the choice. As a believer, I also know there are others who do not. And they deserve the right to make a choice to have a dignified death and not go out screaming. And for those who say there are meds out there for that.. YES, there are.. most of the heavy ones are thru HOSPICE..regular nursing homes don’t have the big guns. So Hospice should be called in… BUT.. there are times when even those don’t do it… sit by your love one, don’t hide, those of you who don’t want assisted… sit there and hear them scream, moan and cry… can you do it? I can’t.. I refuse to have my children do it… so leave me to my choice and I will leave you to your choice.

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

I definitely agree with you. That should be a choice. Bob chose not to have any extraordinary means to keep him alive. He said he wanted to have quality of life and not quantity of life.

I certainly saw his point. Hospice kept him out of pain.