Monday, August 08, 2005

But WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BYPASS!!!

Most of us who live in Bonner county
know not to go near downtown
Sandpoint in any fashion during
the summer.

But the county has decided to tear
up our escape route better known as
Boyer Street which takes us back and
forth from the outskirts of Sandpoint
down the back road, to the back of
Sandpoint. So we can just jump 2 or 3
blocks, get to where we have to go
that is near downtown, and then we
jump back to Boyer and out we go.
With this road tore up, we are at the
mercy of the traffic.

Which Friday was one of the recent
worse ones. I got to town just before
the accident at the north end of the
bridge. But my grandson was in a
school bus at the south end. Which
was a blessing in a way. As they had
the Long Bridge Bar and Grill to use
For bathroom and water purposes.
After all these 20+ kids just came back
from CdA. So to wait in a hot bus for
over hour and half, was horrible.

Coming into the North side of town,
I was sitting under the railroad tracks
before you get to the Chamber of
Commerce building. It took 5 times of
stopping, meaning the light had to go
thru 5 changes before I could go thru.
And there you gamble... do you dash
down Larch street or do you try for
Cedar where it is easier to get to Division.
I decided because I was a little early,
I would take a chance. Got as far as
the street just past Safeway, stop...
so I dashed down Fir Street to get to
Boyer, as I could see it was going to be
at least 2 changes of lights before I
would get thru.

I arrived at the club about 10 minutes
ahead of the arrival time of the bus.
I listen to the radio as I was reading a
book.The engine running to keep cool.
When the announcer came and told of
how there was an accident on the North
end of the bridge. And traffic was
stopped. And it look like it would be
for quite some time. I got out and
told the rest of the parents. Some
of them already heard. So I shut off
the engine and open the windows
and read my book.

About a hour or so later, they said
the traffic was going again. So gave
an up sign to the parents. 20 minutes
later the bus pulled in. I had started
up the Bronco and had the AC going
when my grandson got in. "Oh, Nana,
this feels so good." We started out
and I figured the easiest way out of
town would be Division, Cedar, Boyer,
and then hit Larch. Great plan. I got
thru the Larch signal at 2 change of
signal. But it was weird as the
North/South did not use the light,
because the traffic was stuck there.
I drove out of town, the Y was
standing still going North on 95,
and coming South on 200. As I
drove thru Ponderay, the traffic
was backed up to the Hoot Owl.
Some were even going thru the mall
in disgust. Which I am sure they
really were upset when they saw 95..

BUT WE DON'T NEED NO
STINKING BY PASS...
I only pray those who want to stop
the bypass were stuck down town in this mess....

No comments: