Friday, August 19, 2005

SMALL TOWN FOR SALE

Locally here, there is a small town
put up for sale. For the mere price
of $675,000. Which isn't a bad price
considering how the market is going
these days. It is suppose to be a 20
lots/4 acre town. Founded in 1909.
I don't know what kind of town it was
built for years ago? A train
whistle-stop? A logging town, as
most of them are?

They call it an abandoned 4 acre
town. But for those of us around here,
it is very much alive. Granted, it is
mainly a one building to us. It is a
combo store, and restaurant. The
best food. The best breakfast around
and hamburger. And it only seats
about 24. To most of us locals, it is
the secret we don't want to let out.
As there was one in Ponderay, Idaho
called Hoot Owl, that was like this
and now you can't get a seat there.
This is one of the last Mom and Pop
type places around here.

And now they are going to sell the
area. I don't know if the store/restaurant
is part of the deal or not. Probably.
As the traveler on Highway 95, only
sees this part. There is quite a bit to
Elmira. Land wise. The town is a
small part of the Elmira area. If you
blink your eyes, you will be pass it,
the town itself.

But I can see what progress will do
to this little town. The owner or real
estate agent have in mind a western
town. Maybe a pioneer theme town.
But I can see some one from down
south, having visions of a truckstop
complex. There really isn't one for
about 100 miles or more around.
And this is one of the main trucking
routes from Boise, Spokane, and etc,
to the Canadian border.

Reminds me of Roger Miller's song,
King of the Road...
Small town for sale or rent.... .........

1 comment:

Untangled Family Roots said...

It seems to be the case anywhere you go. It's one of the reasons I moved up here. I remember visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Smelterville when I was sixteen. That was oh, fifteen years ago and I instantly fell in love even though it was at Christmas with more snow then I had ever been around! I moved up here eight years ago and already it had grown so much. I live in Post Falls near Quad Park. I have watch Wal Mart go in and then that whole street became full of shops and car dealers in just the last three years since we baught this house. It's insane! My accident last night with a baseball through my window from Quad Park brought the reality of it home. The manager told me he had sold the place. He said "I wish they would stop blamming me. I was here first and there was nothing but fields all around. They built around me, and now I have to leave." I felt bad for him.