Thursday, August 11, 2005

Drivers...Here's Your Sign

People when they are driving, what
are they thinking?

Yesterday, as I head in for my
daily run. At the Bonner Mall
entrance/exit on the Highway 200,
sat a small car, waiting to get out on
to Highway 200. I see a very large
(smaller than a semi) truck heading
north and I am heading south. This car
sat there for a while, as I saw it for quite
some time. For about 4 blocks the
traffic was clear for him. Then as the
truck approached the area, the car darts
out in front of him, heading north. I could
not believe it. I am hitting the brakes as
I see an accident about to happen. In the
seconds during and after I saw... A man
in a small car who was not concern about
what he had just done, and he was talking
on the cell phone as he did it. I saw the
look on the truck driver of disbelief and
who threw up one hand. All the traffic
behind me could see what was going on,
and were braking as well. Where was that
man's brain? Here is his sign, "dumb driver."

On Monday as I was driving out of town,
and it is heavy traffic. I saw a driver who
left his brain home. He came down the hill
along side of the highway from AutoHaus,
passes the car that was sitting at the stop sign,
happen to find a car length space between cars
that are going 20+mph that are southbound,
and doesn't slow down in the turning lane,
and jump into the northbound lane, someone
ahead of me decided to let this idiot live and
threw on his brakes. He evidently saw it
coming, so could stop. Another driver of no
concern of the traffic problems he had caused,
or didn't care. And yes, I did smile as I went
by him, as I went straight and he sat in the
line waiting for the light that just changed
to red.

Yesterday morning, I am heading out of
town where the road by the Chamber of
Commerce narrows down. I always, well,
just about always, slow down and let the
guy next to me merge. Yesterday,
there was an Indiana license pickup and trailer,
so I slowed way down, to block the traffic, so he
could come over. Then I saw him do the dumbest
thing. He was heading up Highway 95, so was
in the turn lane for the signal. And he blew
the orange light with his truck and red light
with his trailer. What was he thinking? He was
doing about 15 mph, as he approach the signal.
He saw the orange light, and still kept going.
It wasn't like he had a tiny car. He had a full
size travel trailer.

Then on the way home, after picking up my
grandson, I am heading out the same road.
The traffic is heavy and fast. A pickup truck
kept going faster and faster along side of me
as if to beat the two cars in front of me before
the narrow spot. They wouldn't let him in.
By this time I am at the narrow spot, and he
is coming in on me. I had already started
to slow down, to be able to let him in, but
he isn't waiting for that, he comes closer
and closer, and I had to throw on the brakes.
My grandson said, "wow, Nana, I think he
would have hit you. I never seen anyone
do that before."

All you can do, is shake your head. And
pray for them. Mothers with vans full of
children, talking on the cell phone.
For at least a mile or so. I just don't get it.

Here is your sign.... "Beware... I think am invincible."....

No comments: