Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Childhood Memories Squashed

One of the nice things about this
blog is that I have gotten a chance to
meet nice new people. One of which
is Ken E. from Roslyn. In our email
talks he put me on to a site called
Suncadia.com which is a resort area
that is in the Bullfrog road area of Roslyn.

So I went to look at it Friday night.
My heart sank. As I went thru the
different areas of the site, I came
across one that was the map. It showed
a map of the resort and where Bullfrog
Road is and where Highway 90 is and
where the river is. The words heavy heart
came to mind.
I sent the site to my kids and told them
to be sure to click on the map.

As each one of the kids checks in, they,
too, are a cross from being angry and sad.
You see we use to go camping in that
area. We camped across the highway
just pass the sawmill that was there.
But we also climb the powerline hills,
just off Bullfrog before you got to
Highway 90. We did the old fashion
camping. We didn't have a camper
or even tents. We slept outside in our
sleeping bags. Usually about 10 feet from
the river. We had found a spot near a
bend what had a little cove like to it.
We loved that place. The kids use to
get up at daylight and go fishing. Nice
trout in that river. We got to see wildlife
as well, birds and deer mostly. We didn't
bother them and they didn't bother us.
Mostly a staring contest and then they
moved on. My kids ranged from 4 to 11
at that time. We always found something
to do. Read, games and etc. We stayed
there for weekends mostly. Once or twice
for a week. God, I wish I had taken a
camera on those trips.... I wish I had
photos of those times. But we were busy
just living and loving the camping, fishing
and etc. Who thought about the future
and photo's... we had our minds...

Looking at the map, it appears that
their lodge is right where we camp.

The resort is 3 golf course and 6,000
acres strong.
And we are memories deep and weak.

Sad when progress squashes childhood
dreams and fun.
I don't think I like progress anymore...

No comments: