Wednesday, August 17, 2005

GOOSEBUMPS

Puzzle....36 years of unknown....
Connect the dots... all names of
what to call today's blog. I settled on
Goosebumps because the story
gives me goosebumps still. This is a
true story. I promise you it is. I don't
have the permission of the two men
to use their names. Without that,
I won't say who they are.
But the story I need to tell you...

And article in a newspaper,
an aftermath remark,
an email,
and phone call.
Connecting the dots. This is going to
be a long blog today... But hang in there,
it will be worth the ride.

A couple of days ago, a local paper ran
an article about a farmer and how he is
selling his property, save 4 acres. So I
asked someone if they knew the farmer
as this person knows most of the old farmers
in the area. He looked and said yes,
even told where the farm was, and
different things about it. Then as the
person walked away, he said and the
son was a friend of Man1. That Son
and Man1 had hunted together as teens,
and went to school together.
Then he walked away. .

Peaking my interest, I emailed Man1.
Asked him if he remember this childhood
relationship. A while later, I got a email
back that was goosebumps. Yes, he
remember the childhood friend. So very
well. And here is where the goose
bumps started.
He thought the childhood friend was dead.

See after school both join the Army.
But ended up in two different units.
One went to Sniper school and the other
Ranger school. They came across each
other in Vietnam. Man 1 had a picture
somewhere in an album of the last time
he saw him. And could I find an address
or phone number for this son. I quickly
ran and got the phone book for the area
that son was now living in. And there was
one name in the book. So I emailed the
phone number and the parents incase
that wasn't the son.

The next day, Man1's wife called the
number and handed it to her husband.
And 36 year gap was filling in. Both thinking
the other was dead. Such joy for both
of them. Man1 is not going to be available
for 2 weeks. But they have decided as soon
as Man1 is done, he will travel to the area
where Son is living and they will meet
face to face after 36 years.

Why did they think each one was gone?
Man1 had some time off (3 days) so he
went to see if he could find Son and his unit.
What he found out was Son's unit had been
in a battle and all were killed. Leaving
Man1 devastated, and a 2 day drunk.

What actually had happen, was Son
was transfer temporary to another unit
as they needed help, just 2 days before
the battle. When he got back, he found
out his unit was gone, so stayed with the
temporary unit. Man1's unit had trouble
too, and Son was under the impression
that Man1, also was dead.
Goosebumps....

So in 2 weeks, 2 men will meet....
filling the black hole that they have
had in their lives, that has opened up
and filled with light.

Caused by a newspaper article,
aftermath remark,
email, and
a phone call.

I wish I could be there. I wish
I could get pictures of this joy.
But being a person of privacy,
I think this is one where just two men
and their wives, should be the ones there
....and besides who can take pictures
with tears in their eyes....

GOD is good........................

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

Thank you Maureen...but I can't take credit here. To me it was how all the pieces of the puzzle came together... each one important.
God's plan, I guess you can say.