Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas Lights

Last night I went out around town
to see Christmas lights. I use to take
my grandson around when he was 5
to 10 years old. Now he is 15.

I was downtown picking him up
when I decided to swing thru some
of the old neighborhoods. And to
my surprise there were very few
homes with lights. One of the pricier
neighbors had about 20% of the
houses with lights. What happen
to the competitions between
neighbors?

Sandpoint lost one of their top
house displays man this year.
A man called Hansen always had
quite a display. Grinch and everything.
We drove by and half of it was lit and
the other half was not. But it was nice
to see his children had set it up, as he
had passed several months ago.

But even the stores were lacking.
The downtown streets of Oak, or Main.
The park had hardly any. Jones Park
did have a nice trees. At least 5th Avenue
had their trees lit. Like ballerina on each side.

Even my own town isn't much for lights.
BUT, our street can stand proud. Only
3 houses out of the 2 and half blocks
doesn't have lights.

Sadly, next week, it will be dark again.
Until next year. Hopefully more people
will get into the spirit of it. I guess the
high price of electric bills has a lot to do
with it. We only leave ours on from
6 to 8 or 9 p.m.

3 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

We noticed that last year too. We drove through most of the neighborhoods on the prairie and found few light displays of note.

Ahhh, maybe another memory for only we elders!

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Yeah, Mom said the same thing! Really disappointing this year. Always seems dismal when all the lights come down from inside the house.......MEOW.....

prairiesunshine said...

with our long long long long long long winters, most people around here leave their lights on for a few months.

I still have my Christmas tree up and won't take it down til I've actually had time to enjoy it! I was too sick and tired before Christmas to decorate and by the time I got it done, two days later it was Christmas... then the busy holiday season, and now I can finally relax, put my feet up and do something (not sure what yet) in the glow of the lights. Usually I just take a ton of pictures or read a book, snuggle the kitties, sometimes go on the laptop... But I am going to enjoy them and when I'm done enjoying them, I'll take it all down. But not til I'm good and ready. Its usually a 3 day process. 4 to put it up, 3 to take it down. I don't know what ever posessed me to buy 800 lights. Of course they came out with inexpensive pre-lit trees the year AFTER I bought mine... Oh well, Martha Stewart would still be proud of my tree LOL.

I'd show you pictures, but well... You know what happened to them.

prairiesunshine