Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Am I dense? Am I too Simple?

I just don't get the illegal immigrant
thing. See to me the word illegal is
the operative word.

ILLEGAL .meaning against the law.
So if you are an illegal immigrant, then
you are some one who came here against
the law.

These people can parade down a street
in thousands and nothing can be done?
I don't care which country you came from.
My family came from other countries over
a 100 years ago. They came legally.

The deal of we don't have any other choice
rings hollow. People who think the employer,
should not be fine, I just can't figure that out.
When I went to work, my Social Security card
was one of the first things they asked for.

They say the produce will be high this coming
year because not enough workers, as they are
sending immigrants back. They aren't sending
immigrants back. They are sending ILLEGAL
immigrants back.

If the employer needs workers, hire LEGAL
immigrants if you can't get enough citizens.
This country gives out green cards to any
country person who comes in legally. They
can come in with a green card IF they have
a job. So it seems to me there is a pool of
legal workers there.

I worked for a company in the 1950's that
had 80% Mexican workers. It was a manufacture
company. I was in payroll. Calling off their names
was some times difficult. But they were legal workers.
Green card workers. Good hard workers.

So can someone enlighten me to where my
thinking is wrong? I welcome immigrants who
come in legally. Who hold down jobs, legally.
I don't care which country they come from.

Oh, by the way, the summer produce being
picked? That there isn't enough immigrants to
pick the produce? What happen to kids. My kids
picked strawberries and worked other farms as
12 year olds and up. They learn a good lesson.
Work is hard... the harder they work, the more
money they got. The money they used for clothes
they chose, and for fun things. But I am sure
there are goody two shoes who think kids don't
belong in fields. But that is where the under 16
could earn money. I did it. I picked potatoes.
It never hurt my kids, nor I. And who knows,
maybe the kids will learn Spanish/Mexican
while there.

But I guess that is an old ladies take on it.
I guess I am too dense or simple to get it.

4 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

Great post, Cis!

Betty said...

Good post. I like your idea of giving the job to kids. It would be hard work, but kids need to know what hard work is.

Books, hooks, needles, and my weightloss journey said...

I like your take on the illegal immigrants. And hard work for kids is character building, and teaches great lessons they will use later.
Great post.

Mrs. Mac said...

I think you have given a good description and a solution to a big problem our Nation has allowed. We have laws on the books without any teeth. This summer I went and picked my own vegetables at a u-pick farm. I actually enjoyed cooking more because I worked to pick the food.