Friday, October 05, 2007

End of the Week

Ring Neck Doves and friends...
Where did everyone go????

To finish up the week of light
blogging, I offer up the question.

Who are you feeding this winter?
Birds? Squirrels? or what?

I am one of the rare people who
like squirrels. We use to have a
family of them in the tree, next to
our living room window, which gave
us many hours of entertainment.

But here, they don't like my one
and only tree. I use the word tree
loosely, as I am not sure if it is
an over grown bush that is about
15 feet tall, or is it in fact a tree.
It is a evergreen whatever.

The birds love it. They have nest
every Spring. They hide from the
cat in there too. Which may be
the reason why I don't have squirrels.

Before I had a strictly house cat. His
choice, not necessarily mine. But we
did live a half block from the highway.

Now I have Rokon... and she is an out
side cat as long as she can be. She is
in and out of the door. Summer time she
treats us like a motel and restaurant. She
sleeps here, and eats here. Rest of the
time she is on the prowl. She has been
seen leaping up to 4 or 5 feet in the air
to snatch a bird. Being they are the
nasty blackish birds that no one likes,
I don't care. Winter time she watches
them from the window... she doesn't like
snow.

But as you can see from the pictures,we
do feed the birds. And so far, Rokon has
left them alone. The King got the bird feeder
from a yard sale for $2. Don't know why the
people got rid of it... unless because it takes
about 10 # of feed to fill it. We enjoy the view,
as you can see. We are up to 7 ringneck doves.
We started out with two. And occasional we get
a really bright feather friend or two. But mostly,
it is these brown birds. And Misty like to go out
and chase them, but as you can see, they left
as she flew out the door to tell them off.

So what do you feed for the winter, or is it
too much bother.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your postings! I feed birds, squirrels, and of course my two dogs all winter, summer, spring, and fall......I know, I know......spoiled........

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Mistrie, the outside cat, who refuses to come in. She has a food bowl full (I have to take it in at night or the raccoons polish everything off) I keep exchanging the water when it freezes, she gets treats and even catnip. Don't see and squirrels in the winter, but the grouse have a field day eating the little apples off the crab apple tree, and the snowberries.

Toni

Mari Meehan said...

There is always food out for any bird that happens by plus a big dog to chase the neighbor's cat. Can't do much about the hawks though. Oh, I miss the squirrels we had in both Rochester and Seattle. I'd get them so they'd take peanuts from my fingers. Loved it.

JeanC said...

We'll be feeding the birds and any deer that figure out how to get the birdseed out of the feeders. We live far enough out of town that squirrels are usually hawk chow before they have a chance to cross the fields to where we live. I like squirrels and wish we had some.

Rum Tum and Scrapper will continue pretending to be wild kitties for a little while yet and then will start coming home a little more often to enjoy the nice warm house.