Monday, October 22, 2007

Songs of yesteryear and memories

I saw on television that Frankie Valli
is going to have another album out.
I think it might be the first in a long
time... I don't know if it is going to be
a Best of Frankie Valli or new songs.

I remember listening to
Don't worry about me.
Sherry
Walk like a man
And of course my favorite...
Can't take my eyes off of you....

Which the last one, reminds me
of the movie Deer Hunter. Which
was the first movie of Vietman that
I saw, with all of its grizzly warfare,
not necessarily on the war field.

Another songs that remind me of the
past, was Rock Around the Clock,
which was also a movie title I believe.
I remember sitting in the seats as
others stood to rock out in the aisle.
Which was unheard of then, and the
ushers trying to get them to sit down
as they were afraid of riots that had
happen in New York at the movie.

The song, But You don't know me,
brings sadness of a time at home with
my folks...

George Jones's He stopped Loving
her today
... reminds me of losing my
husband in '86.

My Cup runnth Over was a song
sang at my wedding to the King..
by him. So that brings warmth to
my heart.

Village People's In the Navy reminds
me of cleaning house.. great scrub the
floors song.

There are many songs when played
brings in mind parts of your past. Even
the passing of artist, is like the death of
parts of your past. Like when Elvis and
Johnny Cash died, it sadden me to lose
them, to never sing another new song.
Even with all their old songs still around,
it was like a death of part of my life.

Amazing Grace always stops me in
my tracks, with soulful thoughts.

There are songs that bring thoughts
of joy, brings tears to our hearts of
memories of the past...

What song brings to your mind
a large part of your life? That
when you hear it now, it has you
stopped for just a second to
remember a special moment
in your life. I know there are
many, as there is for me.. But
can you think of one song or two?

5 comments:

Betty said...

When I was in college, my first date with a local Dee-jay we went to se "A Summer Place". The theme from that movie always makes me think of him, because he played that a few times after that.
Romantic, huh?

Idaho Dad said...

I was just thinking about this recently. When my wife was pregnant with our son, back in '98, the big song on the radio was "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba. You might remember it by it's chorus: "I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down..."

Anyway, that song always reminds me of waiting for my son to be born. My wife says it brings back memories of morning sickness!

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Tennessee Walz.......that is Ronnie and my song; and I still get chocked up over He Stopped Loving Her Today, for no particular reason, just love that song.

Toni

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Woops.....Waltz!!!

Lil ol' me... said...

Cis...I always thot it was ironic that Frankie Valli sang the phrase "Walk Like A Man" in his squeaky little mouse-voice. My favorite 4 Seasons' tunes are "Let's Hang On" and "C'mon Marianne".