Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yes, it was a very good year....

It was 1956 and July 4th. We sat on the grass and it was hot.
The music started. There was several singers and players.
And then ... the reason we were there at Freebody Park.

Out he stepped on the stage. We all stood and yelled.
The trumpet started to play, and we yelled. And then
we all sat and listen in silence. I don't remember
all of the songs, but Mack the Knife was one of them.

Then one of the men in the band stepped up and told us
that it was the 56th birthday of the man. And we all stood and
sang HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOUIE. We were all so hyped.
And that was before drugs... at least for all of us who
were singing and yelling. I was there with 3 girls. I could
hardly believe my mother let me go. It was my first concert.

It was the Newport Jazz Festival and it was Louie Armstrong.
It was a very good year....

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

OMG you saw louie armstrong.. WOW.. lucky you.....

Even though it was before I was born LOL

x