Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Blackmailed? Held Hostage? Or just a rip off?


It irritates the crap out of me, being held to pay for something I don’t want.. don’t need, and have no interest in.. just because I do have some interest in part of the product.

There was talk about fixing this problem.. a few years ago, in
Congress.. but they never did do anything about it.
And come next year, when my contract runs out.. I will once again, throw out the product..(send it back to them) and call it a day.

I am talking about cable but most of all satellite television. Do you have satellite? How many channels do you get? The average is over 100.  Now how many of those do you actually watch?  Even if it is only once a month… how many?

When you deduct the, selling channels, the religious channels, the Sports channels (for us) and so many more… I think there is something like 25 channels that we watch off and one.. and less than that, every day.   

The main channels are getting so bad, and some of them have a lot of commercial programs.. selling stuff.. I am talking about ABC, CBS, PBS, AND NBC. Reality shows leave me cold.

Other than news and a handful a week of programs.. we don’t watch those very much at all. We do watch a lot of History, A&E, Discovery and National Geographic channel. Once in a blue moon, the Travel channel.  So why are we paying over $60 a month for this?  Why can’t we pick and chose what channels we actually do watch? (that is what Congress was going to fix)  I know they say they need to have those on to help pay for the ones I do watch.. I think that is a cop out. The sponsors pay well.  

Use to be you could pick which coast you wanted, but you no longer can do that. And for the over $60 I pay, there is no extra channels, like HBO or etc. 

2 comments:

Betty said...

Don't get me started. Television is such a rip-off these days. We don't even come close to getting our money's worth. The worst part is we can't seem to do anything about it, except turn off the tvs and cancel our cable bills. Then what? Netflix is great, but it is limited. Until Congress gets interested in people instead of corporations, like Cox Cable, etc., nothing will be done about it.

marlu said...

I wish our was $60. Would you believe $180 and no HBO, Encore, Showtime and lots of ones we don't watch - but to get the ones we do want we have to get the bundle.