Thursday, May 16, 2013

Memory... match on fire....


When the subject comes up about memory, I have said many times over,” that my memory is like match on fire, up in flames and out like a light”.  Even had many over the years agree with me.  We all have made note of a memory of a goldfish.. 30 seconds… and all the other funny things we say to cover up our lapse of memory… senior moment.. hell, senior week or year..  Yes, we have laughed about it.. all of us… Some even question our children and even grandchildren… asking them “What are you going to do when you get my age, if you are having trouble now?’

But I have figured why this is happening… it comes under the title of “if you don’t use it, you will lose it.”  And while a lot of us senior citizens, as we are called, have had it a little better. The younger group is having more problems with it.. it has to do to just that… if you don’t use it, you will lose it.

Why do I say that.. it is because of the fact we don’t use our
memory as much as we had to depend on it in the past.

So I am asking those over the age of 50… and especially those over the age of 60…. How many of you could spout off the phone numbers of your friend when you were in your teens and even 20’s? How many numbers? 3 or 4?  I am betting you could remember all of your close friends… and any number you called a lot. And your phone did not keep those numbers for you. It was between you or the phone book.  Now you have a phone and especially
cell phone, that not only  can dial the number for you… without you even learning that number. It even tells you who it is.. so you don’t have to remember whose phone number is that on the caller id. Not only does it dial it for you.. but the phone can even put the numbers in order of who you call the most.  So you don’t have to go thru your list… you just hit the #1 or #3 and it dials up the person you
put in that list of speed dial.  Some of us .. over 60 can even tell you the phone number of the house they grew up in(R28, which meant we were the 28th R in the book), or former numbers you had… or the house street number where they have not lived for 30 years.

How many of you knew your license plate number on our car?
How many of you know your Social Security number by heart? Or do you just know the final 4 numbers that are asked the most?



And appointments, be it doctor, lawyer, or where ever.. do you remember them… or does your iphone, ipad, or what ever planner you have, tell you.. Does it ring off or send you a message that your appointment is coming up the next day? Or another one the morning of it… Or does the office computer call your phone to remind you of that appointment?  Now, I do put up sticky notes or the appt.
card on the mirror in the bathroom. But I have been next to someone whose phone goes off.. and had the person say, oh, that is my reminder I have appt. this afternoon.

Remember when you knew your car’s license plate number? And birthday’s? How many of you can quote every birthday of all of your family members? aunt’s, uncle’s and nephews, nieces, grandchildren, great grandchildren… and throw in the mix .. all of your friends and even their children.  Believe it or not.. there were people who knew them all.
WITHOUT a calendar, or a birthday alarms reminders… I WAS one of them.

So it is no wonder our memory is getting so bad.. we don’t use it, and we are losing it..  Well, got to go, my birthday reminder is telling me that I have 4 birthdays at the end of the month, so got to go get cards.  But I do have to
tell you, I do remember all of my children/ brother/ sister/husband, without prompting.. and most of my grandchildren…. I have 20 so I think I might be forgiven.. 
But there is a lot of people who call/I call them, that I don’t remember their numbers anymore. 
So if I had to wing it… I would have to get the phone book out.. (or look at my list that is near the phone book).  

No comments: