Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Tombstone

Those who know me, know that I don't plan on being buried in a cemetery... that I will be cremated and blown to the wind..  
I have gone to the cemetery and put the flowers on the grave, like most. Usually the King and I do it the weekend before Memorial Day. He puts flowers on his parents grave and I put some on my husband who passed away in 1986, which is close by.  So I do know the routine.

But in this day and age, your kids are spread across the land. And I don't find it fair to make them feel like they have to either feel guilty because  they don't come to the grave and place flowers, or have to do so. 

So there won't be a tombstone in a cemetery for me.  What I have chose is a bench in a park... for everyone to sit and view the beautiful scene, that I so enjoy now.  It is also the place where an old wooden bench use to be.  And I use to take my grandson, Mike down there and have talks with him.  As he was growing up, and sometimes wasn't making the best of choices, he and I would talk about those choices. 

I also had him promise when he became a teen, that he was to bring me down there when I got old and in a wheelchair, one last time. So I could see the beauty of the mountains and the lake, one last time.

So this past summer, I had a bench placed in the park at the beach, where Mike and I use to sit.  As they had removed the old wooden one.
So I had the city replaced the old one with a metal one, and put in a
slab of cement big enough for the bench and a wheel chair next to it.. and it has my plaque on it..it says. 'NANA AND GRANCHILDREN BENCH.
and in small letters below.. is my name.

This way, grandmothers for years to come, can sit there with their grandchildren.. and talk... and look at the view of beauty... so you see this is what I jokingly call.... my tombstone.  So if you are ever in Sandpoint, Idaho, and go to the city beach... look at the bench on the beach side of the loop.  Near the kiddie swings.

Now I will see how many of my kids read this... as there is only one that knows about it and she lives local.



And this is the view...







No comments: