Tuesday, October 15, 2013

YOUR OBITUARY...

With all the huffing and puffing coming out of Washington, D.C.

I decided to lighten up and work on my obituary... Now you might find that to be quite a downer... but actually it isn't..

 

When I took Hospice classes over 13 years ago, one of the assignments was writing up our own obituary... The teacher told us we could do it serious if we wanted to, but we also could have fun with it too.

 

Wish I knew where I put mine. As I decided to have fun with it. And if I can find it... I will probably use a great deal of it.  It started out with the usual...  You know.. when and where I was born... and to whom. Listed my one and half sibling (brother and half sister) and my 8 children,

and listed the number of grandchildren. Which has totaled up almost twice as much now and then there is the great-grandchildren.  Well, that takes up a paragraph in itself.... But the rest I had fun.

 

I told of the many jobs I had over my then 60 years. Putting on a spin, of how they help form my life. Among them was smashing cars for scrap iron. The waitress jobs... the starting out jobs...   Babysitting, working civil service (telling how it educated me to knowing what the ord insubordination meant. Being I was always questioning why, at my young

age and wanted things to be "fair") and how I came to smashing cars and burning them on purpose.  Before spending the rest of my life working in a nursing home and the love of the patients and what a great generation

they were.

 

I think a person should write their own obituary.  Too many times it is a family member who writes a flowerily one, that would embarrass the deceased. Or maybe not..

But one that was a hoot, was one I read this past spring.

She wrote her own.. and near the end, after tooting her own horn, she wrote.

"But there are some who I couldn't stand. and you know who you are"... I almost spit out my coffee... I didn't know the lady, but I had to give her a high five for a great obituary.

 

So what would you write about, if you were writing your own? Would it be serious? Would you tout all the wonderful thing you thought you had done over the years? Or would you write one that was humorous... After all, this

will be your last words... your last shot so to speak. 

 

I know I am going to make mine one that they will remember for a while. After all I won't have a grave site.. my ashes are going to be blown to the wind... going back to the earth that I came from.  And my tombstone is already in place in a park.  it is a bench for grandparents to sit with their grandchildren, to be able to give them words of wisdom.

 

See I am a control freak... of me.. Others I feel can do as they see fit. It is their choices.. but I am accountable for me.. So that means I hope to control what happens right after I leave this earth... then I will leave the rest up to you all. 


So if you hear that I have passed... try to find my obituary to see if they let me write my own... it ought to be a hoot. 

 



No comments: