Monday, April 04, 2005

FRIEND

FRIEND....FRIENDS....
Notice that the word end, is at the end of the
word...because if you truly are a friend ...you
are there to the end.
This past weekend my husband and I were
guest at a 65th birthday party. It was a small
gathering, which was to me a little unusual for
this lady. She is well known for her fabulous get
together. Usually 20 to 30 people attend. Some
times she has theme parties. She is a fantastic
cook. Even though, it is a sideline for her..catering
that is. You still are blown away with what she
cooks and how she cooks.
I love this woman, like a sister. She is to me,
what every woman WANTS to be like. I told
her, she has a kiss-ass Bette Davis attitude.
When you walk into this lady's house, the place l
ights up like sunshine with her smile. No matter
who you are, she is so happy you are there. She
makes you feel like you are the most important
person there. Hugs are given, asking you how you
are and meaning it.
Her home is a collection of so many articles.
Some might consider it cluttered. But we, her
friends, look around to see what has she added.
It is a collection of her life. Places she has been.
So vast, it would take two blogs to tell you about
them. I love looking at the pictures and different
articles. She has a great sense of humor and a
wonderful deep laugh.
And on this night we all celebrated the
wonderfulness of this lady,and her step in to
the Medicare bunch. But my husband, his brother,
and wife and myself, were different from the rest
of the group. You see, they were not just friends
like we were. The rest of the group, have been her
friends for about 60 some odd years, friends, she
went to school with. Grew up within blocks of each
other. Went to school with each other. Some admitted
they had left the area, only to return. So here on
that night, the night before the actual birthday, this
wonderful woman visited with all of us. Cooked for
all of us, and shone in the great friendships of many
years. We all have friends..at least I hope so. But
how many of us, have the privilege of friendships
of 60 years. It not only speaks well of the lady, but
her lifetime friends. All of them delightful. All of them
60+ young. All of them great wonderful stories of
their lives that filled the room. The things they have
done, and where they went. These people are my
age group. While I have travel around the country
in my years, these people not only traveled, but
they lived their lives to the fullest in their travels.
And as their lives have braided over the year, they
still have so many more years they are planning
wonderful things to do. They remind me of my
father's saying: "Got places to go, things to do,
people to see"
Oh, yea, she does a fantastic
impression of traveling with little boys, taught
to her by her grandson.
So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN... and thanks
for the journey of the night with your life time
friends. You all truly live like my signature
I use in my e-mails.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in an
attractive and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand -
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly
used up, totally worn out and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

No comments: