Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Man Season

Well, it is that time of the year...
Is your husband acting funny.
If he lives in Northern Idaho,
Washington, Montana, and a
few of the western states... He started
3 weeks ago.

You know the guy who comes home
from work, sits down and watches
Judge Judy, and then you hear him
snoring. But he is resting his eyes...
After dinner the same thing. But don't
touch that remote, because he has it
wired to his brain. Just a mere finger
can jerk those eyes open, and you will
hear, I'M WATCHING THAT... Yea right.

But at this time of the year, he is to be
found in the back room, basement or
garage. Busy as a bee working. Going
thru boxes, running to Wally World or
the nearest sporting place.
Football you say, nah, baseball, nope,
not that either.

IT IS HUNTING SEASON...

The saying is.... the difference of men
and boys, is the price of their toys.
How true. My dear husband Sweetie,
has been spending over 2 weeks getting
ready for hunting season. You know
how your child stares at the TV and
you can't get his attention unless you turn
off the TV? Well, men are like that with
getting ready for hunting. It starts now
and ends Decemember..

Like last year around this time..it started
and this is how it went...

Wednesday, the trailer, his brother the
Other Boppsie Twin, and good friend,
Skippy are parked up in the woods.
Thursday afternoon, after work a tornado
resembling my husband came thru the
house. Where is this... where is that.....
do I have everything (not talking to any
one in particular) and a quick kiss, I love
you honey over his shoulder and off the
truck went out of the drive way.

Saturday is the beginning of hunting
season. That early afternoon (about noon)
I get a call for RV supply stores telephone
numbers he wants. And hour later, the truck
drives in. And here is the story of Friday.

They went out looking for a good spot to pick
for the next day. Luckily not too far from
camp. Other Boppsie Twin, his brother,
loses his transmission in his Rokan.
(it is a large tire motorcycle.)

Later, Sweetie pulls the rope for his
Rokan and it comes out. But Sweetie,
being a mechanic, is one to have all
kinds of parts, so he was able to fix that.
And then they found out the trailer water
pump went out, so no shower. (Hence the
quick trip to town Saturday noon).
Friday night Sweetie goes out in the dark,
to water the grass.... and falls over on to a
forest stick (for those who don't know,
that is a small tree that the forest dept.
cuts down to let the bigger ones grow)
which leaves a hole in his leg, just above
his knee on the inside of his leg. Skippy
(the friend) is a retired fireman. So he
cleans it up and disinfected it . After
he tells me all this, I asked....but are
you having fun... and his reply... with
a ear to ear grin.. is YEA.

It is definitely a guy thing. But I am glad
my husband has fun doing this. And me?
Well, I love it. I do projects during this
time when he camps out. And you have
already read how those go. But most of
all, I love it, because I can watch what I
want to watch on tv. I have control of the
remote. I can watch tv from bed. Don't
have to worry about Sweetie, and am I keeping
him awake. Which always made me wonder.
After all this is the guy who sleeps thru
his programs with the volume up. Oh,
Well, the first week is great, no schedule
for meals, watch tv when and what I want....
Then I start missing him. And when he
comes home he is so tired yet like a kid,
so happy about how things went even if
they don't get anything.

That is me, the wordtosser,
(the one left behind, enjoying the control
for the TV and doing projects, and
enjoying the peace and quiet.)

1 comment:

stebbijo said...

Yep -- huntin' season in Bonner County. I will never forget it. It was about this time some years ago a hunter fell off a cliff and was chewed up by wild animals. Unbeknowest to many, he was a federal witness in a case against the Bonner Sheriff's Dept. The search and rescue could not find him even though he was a hop, skip, and jump away. (the guy in charge was the guy being sued - his wife was in charge of the search dogs) I have more detail, but this hunting story is too chilling for this blog.

Time flies by, but some of us don't forget. So here is to all those hunters in Bonner County -- be careful!