Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Towing

The subject of towing cars came up
recently. I hate towing cars and I really,
really, hate being the one towed. Over
the years I have been the one who is
being towed. When my deceased
husband Marvin use to go get a car
that he bought to fix up for resale,
I was always the one in the back car.
I really, really hated that. No control.
And most of them had no brakes, so
that was really lovely. I was scared to
death that I would hit his truck. And
several times he brought me into the
driveway, kind of fast and then kind
of swung out of the way so I could direct
it towards the garage. Of course always
coming to a quick jerk, as it got to the
end of the rope. I would say I had to do
this at least 20 times in the 17 years
we were married. Then one day….
I was to tow him…

We had gotten 4 more inches of snow
when we lived in Vay one winter. Making
berms around our circle driveway about
3 feet tall. . Our friends, Chris and Gary
came over with the grader to plow. I was
to move the Pinto. Pinto starts right up.
Let it warm up for 5 minutes. Get in and
moves slightly. Back wheels spin. But
goes no where. Maybe the brake is stuck,
Marv says. Stepped on the brake, nothing
happens. So towed it back wards. Front right
wheel drags. Brake has stuck. So he
hammers on the drum. Still nothing.
So told him I would tow it to the garage.
As I would have no idea what to do to get
it to break loose. And Marv did.
Hooked on with Marv behind the wheel
and I started off. Gary says maybe a small
jar will loosen it. Nope.

So I started for the garage. I watched
in the mirror for hand signals from Gary
or Marv. Nothing. Figured it didn’t let
loose, so I continued to the garage. Doing
10 mph. I headed there, around the corner
and down the straight stretch. Watching
in the mirror for hand signals. Then half
way down the straight stretch….a hand
signal. So I stopped. I walked back and
asked Marv if it had let loose. Blue smoke
and fire came out of his mouth. Fire in
his eyes. Seems when I went around the
corner he lost control of the car. Steering
wheel whipped out of his hands and the
car went up the side of the snow bank like
a sled(must have been before I looked back)
and down and back and forth from side
to side, (I thought he was trying to shake
the brake loose) then straighten out. He
was ranting so much I got to laughing so
hard, I had to hang on to the car. This didn’t
help his sense of humor. Gary who was
watching all of this, laugh so hard, he had
tears in his eyes. He said as the car moved
quickly back and forth, he could see
Marv’s hands go up as to give up trying to
steer. Marv’s eyes open wide, and then
fire in the eyes, and the mouth going in
what appeared to be curse words.
Then he could hear Marv, as he got out
of the car, discussing my state of
sanity and saying I wouldn’t never, ever
tow him any where ever again. Just the
mention of me towing anything sent Marv
into a full discussion mixed with cuss words. .

Some men just don’t have a sense of humor…..
I laughed all the way to the house…
ah, sweet revenge….

2 comments:

God's Helper said...

Thank you. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Knowing both of you as I do, it was just too easy to visualize. I am just sorry I was not there to see it in person.

Love ya

Word Tosser said...

You welcome, I still laugh today when I think of it.