Monday, September 19, 2005

The Name is the Game

Sweetie decided he wasn’t too keen
on the name of Sweetie in my blog..
He wants to be known as THE KING…
You know like King of your Castle…
But you know the old saying, A Rose
by another other name is still a Rose.
So he can be King, but he is still my
Sweetie….

We have had names for each other.
But not your usually cutiest names.
These developed over the years. And
some times it has back fired on us.
No, they aren’t bad names.

When I am driving, The King is never
happy with how it is going. He thinks
I brake too soon and I am going to
wear out the brakes. Or he thinks I
wait too long and some day I am going
to hit the brakes at the last minute
(his estimate) and there won’t be any
brakes and I will fly thru the intersection.
(I guess from hitting them too soon
too many times).

Then, there is when we are approaching
the highway from the on ramp. We get
up to the top and he will yell
“HIT IT MARGARET”. Because he
doesn’t think I am going fast enough.
Where did he get this? Did you see a
commercial years back with the
4 old ladies in the car, when the front
passenger, yells “HIT IT MARGARET”?
I don’t remember what the commercial
was for, but THE KING, remembers
the punch line.

Then there is Darla. I hope it is a
short for Darling. But he has called
me this for years. And many times…
So many times, others have heard it.
In fact, our neighbor moved in to her
new home in the Spring a couple years
ago. He had helped her off and on with
different things. He had more to do with
her than I did, because I was working, so
there for, during the day I was sleeping.
She heard him call me Darla… so it
came back to bite him in the butt.
When Christmas came around, she
brought something over to show her appreciation
for all the things he did. Yep, it was
addressed to my husband and Darla.
I made him explain what my real name is.
We have had a good laugh over it now.

Then about 17 years ago THE KING
was unemployed for a month. So we
went to the Employment so he could apply
for unemployment. He came to a
screeching halt because they wouldn’t
talk to him with out his Social Security
number. Yes, he knew it by heart, but
they wanted prove… paper prove. And
being he had not put in for benefits before,
they had no record of him. So we had
to go home (at that time 25 miles away)
to get his SS card. As we walked out of
the office and he is on one side of the car
and I am on the other side….. I yelled
over to him (remember THE KING is
of Portuguese decent) …..
WELL, JOSE, IF YOU HAD BROUGHT
YOUR GREEN CARD, THIS WOULDN’T
HAVE HAPPEN…
He looked around to see who could see
us, and said thru clinched teeth….
I’m going to kill you….. and we laughed….

So this is Margaret/Darla and Jose…
telling you to have a great day.

No comments: