Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Music

Working on a funny post for
Friday... so this is off the top
of my head for a filler.

After yesterday's reference to
a song in the past, I got to thinking
about my music taste and how
they have changed over the years.

My first records were 45's. And
I believe after watching the movie,
Rock Around the Clock with Bill
Hailey and the Comets, I ran down
and bought my first record. After
that I found Unchained Melody by
Al Hibbler and then of course Elvis.

But before my teens were over, I
had switched to country music.
Which lasted for 40 years. Starting
out with Ernest Tubb...and Waltzing
across Texas. I got to meet Mr. Tubbs
at a place called THE BOSTONIAN. It
was a dance hall in El Cajon, Ca. He
was on one side of the counter, where
they served soft drinks, and beer, and
burgers and etc. He asked me to pass
the sugar to him for his coffee. BOY,
those were the biggest diamonds on
his ring, that I ever saw in my life time.

Raising my children, even with
country music in our household, was
sprinkled with Go Go Girls, Kiss and
several others. And of course like my
parents not understanding Elvis or Bill
Hailey, I didn't understand them either.

What drove me nuts was the big
speakers. Which seem to drum the
sound into the walls and travel
down to where the living room was
and our bedroom. Swearing the
speakers were on 2 or 3, it sounded
more like 20 to me.

I found the best way to get the kids
to change some of their music was
to ignore it. If I didn't make a big
fuss about it, then it must not be
any good to them. Therefore
we survived their teens years.

To my amazement my mother
learn to like Elvis and recorded
his best television performance.
Also she hated my country music
yet died loving Willie Nelson.

My choice still vary. I love BB KING,
Dr. Hook, Johnny Cash has and will
always be a favorite. I like Libby
Roderick's... "How could Anyone"
Gene Krupa's drum solo's, the
Village People, Regis Philbin
and Ray Charles among some of
the ones I play. The King has
some rock and roll cd's, and
big band, that I like. But my
soul loves Rock and Roll, and
of course, Gospel.

No comments: