Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Alzheimer's and Diabetics

There has been recently reports of a diabetic spray for Alzheimer patients and some pretty good results…

This doesn’t really surprise me. There was a conversation between a nurse and myself one morning, ten years ago, as we were heading to the end of our shift. She was getting the needles ready with the insulin for the diabetic of our area. And I said something to the tune of, good thing there isn’t any Alzheimer residents who have diabetes, as you can imagine what it would be like trying to give them a shot. Especially the violent ones. Then I followed up, you know, come to think of it.. I don’t ever remember not even one Alzheimer resident having diabetes. I wonder, do you think there is a connection? After all, I had been there for 17 years. And she replied… you know, now that you mention it, I don’t ever remember giving an Alzheimer patient a shot either.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if it was that simple. The articles I have read, has even talked of reversing Alzheimer’s somewhat, with the spray. And its staying power even after it stopped. What a glorious day that would be, if it proves to be true.
As that is the one disease that scares me the most, more than heart attack or cancer. It wouldn’t be so bad for me, as every day would be a new day… but it would be a living hell for my family. I have seen it so often, in my line of work and even in my personal life with friend’s families.

No comments: