Monday, September 26, 2011

You know you are growing old when....

Do you read the birthdays of the famous in the daily paper?
And when you see that some of your old movie stars or singers of
your day, and see they are in their 70’s or even 80’s (Tony Bennett is 85!!)
OR you read about one of the movie stars of your 20’s and think to yourself
“wow, I didn’t know he/she is still alive… I thought he/she died.”

And then there are the commercials… Robert Wagner, Pat Boone, selling
walk in tubs, health insurance, diabetic supplies, pain creams… and etc.
So much for our childhood heart throbs.

How did they get so old? But like my friend who is 5 years older than I,
when I suggested he go the senior citizen center and meet some people.
He was complaining about not having anyone in his life. I told him that
they have dances, play cards, special meals besides the lunches every day.
How at 76, he could find someone who would like the same things he did.
He could play piano for them. Have sing alongs, which he enjoyed.
So he replied with the remark of
“I don’t want to go down there, there isn’t any one there but old people”.
I was quiet for a minute and then said to him….
”Gord, WE ARE THE OLD PEOPLE. “

Of course age is a mind over matter. And I am still 48…
lol.. don’t get me wrong,
I will be the first person to tell you I am 71. But I feel 48.

No comments: