Monday, June 03, 2013

Don't like being idle...

I joke around about doing nothing.. when some one says what are you doing
now that you are retired... I have joked for years about how I do nothing and
found I was quite good at it...

I guess more to the point is ... I do a lot, but nothing of great mention. And
also boring for others.  In fact if I do have to do nothing.. it drives me nuts.
We all do something... but there are days that I have sat and read magazines
or books to catch up on the stack that gathers.  Because I am doing other stuff.
But sitting for hours reading and drinking tea or coffee... I feel guilty.  Even
just sitting thru a movie during the day, makes me feel guilty. Can think of
so many things I should be doing.

I guess it is the way I was raised. As a kid, there was always something to do.
Chores, chores, and more chores. Cleaning out stalls, vacuum the floor, do
dishes, weed the garden... defeathering chickens during killing time. Picking
up bales of hay, or before that, we either drove the truck or pick forked hay
on the truck.  On a small farm there was always something. Of course, clean
my room.. gosh I hated that.. guess most kids do.

Then later I went to work, and did chores when home and worked. Weekend
chores. After I moved away, I went to watch over my grandfather for about
8 or 9 months. Drove me crazy.. As I really did nothing.. went to the beach,
which was just down the road. Spend the day there swimming and getting
a tan.  And put on about 20 pounds.  I had arrived at 98 pounds, and so skinny,
that you couldn't tell if I was coming or going, or standing side ways. Left
Florida at 125. 

I went to California, and got a job, and then came marriage and kids... so
work on a full time job.. be it at work or at home. Raising kids was a full
time job. As there were not markets to run to, no fast food places. It was up
early, get the kids fed, wash clothes, iron clothes,  make food for meals all day,
and dishes constantly. Keep the kids out of trouble.

After the kids left, and my husband had died, it was job time again. Working
in a nursing home there is a lot of overtime. And driving home took 45 minutes.
17 and half years of that.. and then retirement.  And for those of you who haven't
retired, and worry about what are you going to do with all that time???? HA HA..
WHAT TIME..  there is the house, the yard, and washing and fixing meals.. and
etc. Always something to do.  And if you are lucky enough.. you get to go to
lunch with friends..  I do all the things, I didn't have time to do when I was working.

So when a rainy day comes... and I have my wash and meals caught up.. house
work done... so I sit and read... it takes a little getting use to.  Of course there is
a few things I could do.. like clean out my filing cabinet.. lol..  


No comments: