Thursday, January 01, 2009

THIS IS THAT OR IS IT?

I was watching the Rose Parade and
really enjoyed it... In fact I was surprised
there was not any entertainment injected
between what they call lulls. There weren't
any lulls that I saw... the bands marched right
along, and the floats kept coming... very
enjoyable.

Then in my search to find something not football,
I came across Channel 7 (PBS) with a show about
folk music and Pete Seeger. And was really surprise
to hear that one of my favorite groups of my childhood,
was considered communist. Our family use to sing
On Top of Old Smoky, and Good Night Irene to the top
of our lungs... Never heard mom or dad speak of them
being communist. I barely remember them watching
Joe McCarthy, and Mom thinking he was a nut case.

And who of us did not dance or sing the songs of Seeger
Guthrie, Mommas and Poppas, and alike. I can remember
going to the first Newport Jazz Festival with Louie Armstrong.
They thought the town would be run over by riots and etc.
And then it was shortly after that the Newport Folk Festivals came,
that we watched from our boat. And one of my favorites was Arlo
Guthrie...Alice's Restaurants.

In today's paper ... the Daily Bee, there in the For the Record..there
is a report... now get this.. first I have to tell you, that Samuel's Road
is in the country... but there it is in the Record... a complain of dogs
barking...at (are you ready?) at turkeys. Turkeys can you imagine that,
Turkeys in the country and dogs barking at them.... AT 8:50am.. dogs
barking at 10 to 9 AM...folks... at turkeys in the country... and this person
reported it to the SHERIFF''s office... what the heck did they want the sheriff
to do, chase off the turkeys so the dogs didn't bark? Or chase off the dogs.
Really, I think the sheriff's office has more important calls coming in.

And then there is yesterday's Spokesman Review. A short sideline item.
Woman's grip stops naked intruder... God Bless You, Granny. Another one
for the elderly... You see she is 88 years young. And he is 47 years old.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-odd-naked-intruder,0,915737.story

and for this year we can remember.....

The Original 1944 Lyrics of Woody Guthrie
This land is your land, this land is my land
From California to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me.
As I went walking that ribbon of highway
I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me.
from......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_Your_Land#Original_1944_Lyrics

MAY 2009 BRING EVERYTHING WE HOPE IT TO BE

No comments: