Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I was 28 and Now I am 45

Yesterday a gal that was my boss when
I first re-enter the job market 19 years ago,
stopped by. We had a great conversation.
We were catching up on other former employees,
that each of us still knew where they were
and what they were doing.

And one of the thing that we agreed on
when we were talking about former fellow
employee, is how old they seem to be getting.
After not seeing some of them for 10 years,
we were surprised at how much they aged.
It is as if people's age stands still until you see
them again. And then we laughed as we
knew we, too, had aged as well.

Neither one of us is a mirror person. Meaning
we use mirrors to see if our hair is on straight
and that is it. You hardly see the face as you
are concentration on your hair. With that done
you turn away. My mirror is the normal height,
but I am not. So I only get a glimpse of my face
and upper shoulders. So I don't see how the rest
of me has gone to pot so to speak.

I can remember when my father was 72,
he was talking about how that old guy in
the mirror seems to be taking over his body.

I am lucky as my father's side of the family
has always looked at least 10 years younger
than they are. I can remember when I was 16
and one of my fellow class mates was upset with
me for dating that older guy. He must be at least
25! she said. I had a heck of a time convincing her
that the man she saw me with at the ice cream
shop was my 44 year old FATHER... He was out
haying just less than a month before he passed
away at 82. So I am lucky to have active family
background. My father's sister is 87 and can out
shop any young person half her age.

Being I don't see myself, I go by how I feel. So
that is where the title comes from. See for years
I felt like 28 and now I feel 45. Don't get me wrong,
I know how old I am, and will tell you in a half
second if you ask. And I am proud to be 65.
But that is only when some one ask or the question
of age comes up. But as I go thru my daily life,
I feel 45. Then there are the times when I try to do
things I use to do when I was 45 and my body
reminds me that I am 65. ha..

No comments: