Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Revisiting the Past

While we were in Ellensburg,
our friends took us for a ride
to the past.

On Saturday afternoon after
the closing of the Cancer Walk,
we all headed to Upper County.
As known by the natives...others
know it as Cle Elum, Roslyn and
Ronald.

We drove thru Cle Elum, looking
at the different business there.
Some have changed and some
have not. Tommy Willette's
Shell Station, Storey's and etc
is the same. Shoemaker's
Manufacturing is bigger. I
remember when it was the
mink rending plant.

We drove on the back street and
looked at my friend's sister's old
place. It is up for sale again. And
we took down the Real Estate
name. (we found out it was for
sale for $200,00, we were shocked).

Then we headed up to Duck Town,
in Roslyn. Only a native or ex-resident
knows where that is. Another friend's
ex house was for sale... (looked that
one up too... $299,900!!, when I told
God's Helper, I think I heard choking
in the email back) And Carek's Meat
is still alive and well. The tradition
is being carried on my John's daughter
Diane. Best pepperoni, and jerky.

Then up to the middle of Roslyn.
That is the pictures you see of
Harper's Hardware, where you got
regular plumbing or Roslyn plumbing.
There is a difference. And the Brick.
And what was Mary's Freezer Shop,
has been renamed Roslyn Cafe, after
the name the building carried in the
show, Northern Exposure. In fact a
lot of the town is in tune with the show.

We were in one shop that had a lot
of the things that were Northern
Exposure theme. The man who
owns it was very nice and informational.
Also he is honest. As my friend had
dropped a magnet she had bought. He
came across the street and found her,
and told her what happen and gave it
to her. Pretty honest if you ask me.
Went into another shop that I believe
it use to be one of the old taverns. It
has old Roslyn things there. Told her
I would gather up some of my old
Roslyn things and send them to
her. The tavern was quite the place.
One of the locals, Skippy, use to
ride his horse inside to get a beer.
She also knew an old friend of mine,
Tad. Who I had lost contact with.

We then headed to Cle Elum's
Safeway store and got supplies
for a picnic and headed out thru
Ronald. Which had not change
much. Maybe a few newer houses.
But the Old Number 3 Tavern is
still alive and well. I think someone
said it had a fire but was rebuilt.
I use to play pool there with my
friend, who now lives in France.

We headed out of town towards
Salmon La Sac. But about 4 miles
short of that, along side of the
road, we found a picnic table so
we stopped. It was a beautiful
day.

My only regret was not looking
up one of my readers. But for the
life of me, I could not remember
his last name. So I am sorry, Ken,
I didn't get to meet you face to face.
Maybe next time.

On yea, where we had our smashing
business in the 1970's... is going
to be houses . Sad...very sad...
but that is progress

No comments: