Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Whip Lash

I noticed that my online service is slow… and I have dial up.
So I looked up to see what some of the choices are. I found out
in the US the FCC passed a regulation limiting V90 dial-up connections to 53Kbps

I looked to see what the other options are and prices.. Knowing that
satellites charge $45 and up, which is out of my budget, I was wondering
what else.

Knowing Verizon has DSL I was checking to see the difference of that
and cable. This was a few of the list I found.
Residential DSL service range from 128 Kbps to 3 Mbps (3000 Kbps).
You can generally get DSL for only $19.95 per month with speeds
from 768 Kbps up to 1.0 Mbps,
Cable companies usually have varies stages of internet connections going
from $19.95 to $35.00 and the speeds are faster than DSL.
They also stated that fiber optic connections is even faster…
But I know in Bonner County that is years and years down the road. Maybe
not in my life time.

So I went back to check my server speed… which on a really good day is
40kbps…which means I would get whip lash if I got these speeds....
and today.. right now.. it is 24kbps…
And they wonder what makes grown women cry…. Low server speed.

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

My Cox cable gives me 54 mbps at $21.95 a month. They offer three speeds and this is their cheapest.

It gets me around the internet.

Mari Meehan said...

I've got "high speed" and it still drives me nuts. Out here in the boonies it isn't all that reliable because we're too far from some componant or another. And we're really not that far out!