Thursday, February 07, 2008

Today's students

Thank goodness, I am not in high school.
I barely made it thru when I was there.

But I am surprised at how well, my fellow
students did. And still went on to college and
big time jobs...well most of them did.

Especially compared to the students of
today. We were not able to have hand
calculators. Even if they were invented by that time.
Our teachers were cruel, they wanted us to
remember all that stuff. Even my kids teacher
held out for the longest time. They said "what are
you going to do if the batteries go dead and you need
the answer now??" "Use your head."

My fellow students and I had to remember the
Gettysburg address... we had to know the Preamble
of our Constitution, we had to memories the times
table.. all of it.. And Shakespeare.

We had to READ in books.. the information we
needed for our class. We went to the library to
study from some of those books. We had to
research it ourselves. Not go to a computer and
put in one word and have 2000 sites come up with
the work all done for you.

What happen? Can kids tell time by a clock
and not a digital? Do they say quarter to 5 or
do they say 4 45?

Four score and seven years ago, our fore fathers
brought upon this nation,

How much do you remember?
Geesh, I feel old...
And do you remember the Preamble to the Constitution?
I will have it in the comment section, if you want to try now
and see how much you remember. It is only one sentence.

1 comment:

Word Tosser said...

We, the People, of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America